Many children grow up hearing the nursery rhyme: “There was an old woman who swallowed a fly. I don’t know why she swallowed a fly. Perhaps she’ll die.” Whether you can die from swallowing a fly is debatable, but in China it will help you avoid a lawsuit. The Wuhan Evening News reports that a local restaurant manager ate a dead fly to prevent an irate customer suing him. The diner, surnamed Zhang, pointed to the offending insect in his bowl of noodles, and threatened to take the restaurant to court. However, after the resourceful manager had digested the fly, the newspaper reports that Zhang’s case disintegrated: “He could do little after the manager ate up the evidence.”
© ChinTell Ltd. All rights reserved.
Exclusively sponsored by HSBC.
The Week in China website and the weekly magazine publications are owned and maintained by ChinTell Limited, Hong Kong. Neither HSBC nor any member of the HSBC group of companies ("HSBC") endorses the contents and/or is involved in selecting, creating or editing the contents of the Week in China website or the Week in China magazine. The views expressed in these publications are solely the views of ChinTell Limited and do not necessarily reflect the views or investment ideas of HSBC. No responsibility will therefore be assumed by HSBC for the contents of these publications or for the errors or omissions therein.