Glow-in-the-dark watches and toys have their uses, but China has unwittingly pioneered a fluorescent product that few are likely to want. The Shanghai Morning Post reports that a local resident was shocked to find she’d been sold glow-in-the-dark pork. Mrs Chen told the newspaper that she’d bought a kilogram of pork from a Shanghainese wet market last week, and after using some to make dumplings, had left the rest on her kitchen table. Later that night she stopped on the way to the bathroom because she saw “a vague blue light”; but after turning on the lamp could not see anything unusual. However, when she flicked the switch again, she noted the pork was glowing. Even after she washed it, it still glowed, she reports. The Shanghai Food and Drug Administration says the pork may have been contaminated with photobacterium during its slaughter. It added that if well cooked it would not pose a threat to human health. Mrs Chen was not convinced: she threw the ‘blue’ pork away, as probably would you…
© ChinTell Ltd. All rights reserved.
Exclusively sponsored by HSBC.
The Week in China website and the weekly magazine publications are owned and maintained by ChinTell Limited, Hong Kong. Neither HSBC nor any member of the HSBC group of companies ("HSBC") endorses the contents and/or is involved in selecting, creating or editing the contents of the Week in China website or the Week in China magazine. The views expressed in these publications are solely the views of ChinTell Limited and do not necessarily reflect the views or investment ideas of HSBC. No responsibility will therefore be assumed by HSBC for the contents of these publications or for the errors or omissions therein.