“Waiter, there’s a fly in my soup,” goes the opening line of an old British joke. It’s not a particularly funny gag, and for a resident of Hangzhou it’s no joke at all. He almost swallowed an insect that he says must have been floating belly-up in his yogurt. According to the Qianjiang Evening News, the man bought Bright Dairy’s packaged yogurt drink for breakfast, but soon found “something stuck in my mouth”.
The fly, as it turned out. Our aggrieved shopper spat it out and then called the company to complain. But a Bright employee told him the fly must have flown into the carton while he was drinking it, and so wasn’t the company’s responsibility. The man said for that to be the case it would have to had to have flown into the carton through the straw. But the company insisted that it would only admit responsibility if an autopsy was performed to determine the fly’s time of death. However, as a local professor of insect sciences told the newspaper, local institutions in Hangzhou lacked the proficiency to perform such a service.
© ChinTell Ltd. All rights reserved.
Exclusively sponsored by HSBC.
The Week in China website and the weekly magazine publications are owned and maintained by ChinTell Limited, Hong Kong. Neither HSBC nor any member of the HSBC group of companies ("HSBC") endorses the contents and/or is involved in selecting, creating or editing the contents of the Week in China website or the Week in China magazine. The views expressed in these publications are solely the views of ChinTell Limited and do not necessarily reflect the views or investment ideas of HSBC. No responsibility will therefore be assumed by HSBC for the contents of these publications or for the errors or omissions therein.